Clocks are complicated - Smiths Enfield

But at the same time mechanical clocks are a marvel
 I bought this Smiths Enfield mantel clock from a clock enthusiast in Halifax, NS for what I thought was a pretty fair sum. I doubt that this clock has ever been serviced so I didn't expect much. The case was a little beaten up as well but I spent a little time sanding and lacquering the case to bring it up to what I think is a very presentable condition.

The clock ran fast from the start to the tune of 15 minutes per day and a clock forum I belong to (NAWCC) gave me all kinds of advice, some a little questionable but the opportunity to ask questions and hear from experts gave me the confidence to do a little repair by replacing the suspension spring which was (apparently) too short.The spring is that little thingy at the top of the first photo, a pretty simply fix but it meant ordering a part from Timesavers in the US. Not a problem, great service and speedy delivery. Now to see if it will work. After applying pivot oil judiciously, I started it up. At first it was still gaining time but not as much as before but now I am not so sure. Perhaps it did help and perhaps I did fix it after-all.

Anyway, I like this hobby and with my confidence steadily building I am on the look-out for a new acquisition. Now where is that Pequegnat Regulator #1?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seth Thomas Gothic Beehive Mantle Clock

Seth Thomas Round Top Mantel Clock

No one told me about the last ten minutes