Dugena Mantle Clock

Dugena Mantle Clock with Arabic numerals
 This Dugena mantle clock is my newest clock acquisition.It is an art-deco style (should that be capitalized) bim-bam clock, so named because it has 3 strike rods with hammers striking each one. One rod strikes one rod while the two others strike simultaneously immediately after the first strike resulting in a very pleasant strike.

Up until several weeks ago I didn't know anything about the brand save that it was made in Europe, A little research revealed that Dugena was a co-operative and simply a brand that was made to accommodate many German movements. There may even be a Hermle movement in this particular clock although I have to say that that would be a big guess. Hermle would be reasonably good quality but being a co-operative there might have been any movement from the period, which I am guessing would be the 50s.
Possibly a Hermle movement
 The clock is not perfect. There must be something wrong with the strike train because it will strike randomly and often for 40-50 times. I did notice when I first got it that the strike spring was wound very tight; it could be unloading its power causing it to strike as it does.

The case itself is in good condition. I did notice a significant build-up of grease and grime which I removed with Sunlight soap. Sunlight soap is a great de-greaser and it had no difficulty lifting the grime and revealing a nice shiny finish. The face is also in good shape and need just a little cleaning. The movement itself looks okay at first glance but I do not see any evidence that it was ever lubricated.

Otherwise the clock is a little fast but that can be easily adjusted. While it does not have a pendulum this one has a balance wheel which can be pushed either way to speed or slow down the clock.
An attractive face
I won't take it apart yet. I am waiting for my first clock repair book to arrive so that I can use this one to tinker on. I might just take it apart and use it as my test clock.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seth Thomas Gothic Beehive Mantle Clock

Seth Thomas Round Top Mantel Clock

No one told me about the last ten minutes