G6 meets Lumix X-Vario 45-175

G6 with 45-175 attached
 I have been looking at this lens for a while and tried it out during a visit to Calgary this past summer. I walked into a camera store to pick up a tripod plate and the salesman pointed to several Lumix lenses on display. One was the 45-175. I liked it right away. What a great lens in such a diminutive package. I already had the 14-45 and thought that it would neatly cover the entire 14 to 175 range. Perfect for almost every travel situation. And that was the reason I bought it, but not then. I had to think about it.

flower at 175
It came in the mail today from B&H. Once again I was impressed with its compact size and internal zoom action (the barrel does not extend).
street view at 175
Then I quickly noticed that there is no OIS on-off switch on the side of the lens like other Lumix lenses that I have. Stabilization has to be set internally through the menu system which I thought was a bit odd. Not a big deal but it is an additional step after mounting the lens.
Sunflower at 175
This is my first day with the lens and I have a lot to learn. Since it is a power-zoom it gives the G6 a super-zoom camera feel - a little strange and it will take some getting used to. It comes with a lens hood and a pouch. Oh, and it has a metal mount.
Unknown flower at 175
It is largely made of plastic, not off-putting, but robust and with a quality precision feel unlike an Olympus 40-150 that I have in my collection. In fairness the Olympus lens was a third of the price but still takes really good photos.

I fired off a few shots in less than good light and it is everything that I hoped for. More testing is required in the next few days. I am also curious to see how it handles video. More later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seth Thomas Gothic Beehive Mantle Clock

Seth Thomas Round Top Mantel Clock

No one told me about the last ten minutes