Porch Life at the Cottage

One of the most important improvements we made to our cottage in the past year was an extension of our screened in porch. The cottage faces the lake and it is only a few short steps to the water. It was something I had planned to do when I retired but my wife and I sat down together and we decided, why should we wait? Life is too short!
Lit up at night
Yes we had to lay out some money. The costs were a little higher than we anticipated because we had to install a custom floor to match the existing floor, after all the porch was an extension resulting in double the square footage once the job was completed. But well worth it.
Working on a jigsaw puzzle
It made all the difference in the world. It was our principle entertainment centre, a place to chat with neighbours, friends and family and a place to enjoy our meals. Indeed 90% of our meals were enjoyed on this porch.
Heavy rain
Our vintage Integrated Amplifier

Much of our entertaining was done in this area and it was only the coldest of days that drove us inside and there were very few of those this summer. Rainy days? Not a problem. In fact it would take a strong wind to bring any rain into the porch area.

To provide us with music during the summer I brought along an old amplifier. The last photo shows an vintage (circa 1975) Dynaco SCA80Q integrated amplifier that I pulled out of the basement after many years in storage. Although it performed very well, towards the end I was getting an annoying hum from the unit. Anyway, I will report on that in another post because the journey to repair the amp was quite interesting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seth Thomas Gothic Beehive Mantle Clock

Seth Thomas Round Top Mantel Clock

No one told me about the last ten minutes